Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Sunday Spent Seeding


I left my Whole Farm Planning yesterday determined to start some seeds today.  Spending the day in New England's first and largest organic greenhouse will do that to you.  It was just the inspiration (or kick in the pants) I needed.

First thing this morning a local farmer dropped off a truck load of incredible compost - mostly manure and kelp.  My mom and I spread it on top of all her raised beds and in the garden and got planting!  We cover cropped 1/2 the beds with white clover (which will hopefully make a nice thick mat to plant our summer transplants into) and in the other beds we planted kale, swiss chard, lots of lettuce, peas, and carrots.  It looked so nice! (The pictures of dirt don't really do all the hard work any justice).


While I was on a roll, I decided to finally commit and start some seeds.  I have talked to a couple of farmers about getting their "leftover" transplants, or purchasing them wholesale, but there are a bunch of things that I will still need to start on my own.  I had budgeted to purchase grow light shelves from Johnny's Seeds, but spending the thousand dollars was holding me back from getting started.  In the end I purchased some inexpensive flats with clear covers and plan to pick up regular shelving on a trip to IKEA tomorrow and rig some sort of lighting.  I've made a mess of my parent's sunroom and gotten a much later start then I had hoped, but it's better late than never, right?  We'll see how it goes.

I'm so eager to see my onions, cabbage, pepper, and lettuce seedlings start popping up!  The first vegetables of Full Heart Farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment