Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Good Fortune

photo by peta mazey photography via stylemepretty.com
Remember yesterday when I was spouting on about being hopeful?

That's mostly because hoping is the only thing I can do right now.  Yes, yes, I'm making all sorts of preparations to get ready for owning a house and running a farm business, but hope is the only thing that's going to make all of the pieces come together in the next (less than) 4 weeks.  Hope, and constant calls to my real estate agent and loan officer to ensure that everything stays on track.

The funny thing is, I must have had a lot of extra hope running out of me yesterday because I received the BEST email right before falling asleep.  The farm I volunteered at for a few summers during college (and that my brother volunteered at after me) has decided they aren't going to grow veggies anymore and offered me all of their used equipment for purchase!  It's mostly small items (grow shelves, soil block makers, earthway seeder, etc), but everything was on my list to buy.  I'm SO excited to go pick everything up later this week!

I was also able to order pullets through their bulk order.  I normally raise my layers from chicks, but that just wasn't an option for this growing season.  What I didn't realize was how difficult it is to find pullets with beaks!  There are a few places in the state that sell small quantities of birds to backyard growers, but they are expensive and it's exhausting piecing together a flock and having to quarantine them on the farm.  I was thrilled to be able to order birds with a number of neighboring farms (4,000 pullets!) for only $6.25 a piece.  Fresh eggs here we come!

All of the pieces of the farm are FINALLY coming together!  I just feel like the luckiest girl in the world!

P.S. Our farm website goes live tomorrow morning!  :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment