Saturday, October 29, 2011

Warm Apples for a Snowy Saturday


Okay, TECHNICALLY it's not a snowy day.  But I know it's coming.  And everyone I know is already under several inches (including the chickens!  poor Neckie is going to need a turtleneck to stay warm!).  A nor'easter in October sure makes it seem like winter is just around the corner.


After lunch today I made baked apples.  I peeled and hollowed out 6 large apples (I used winesaps, because that's what we had picked the most of) and then sauteed them top-side-down in butter in my cast-iron pan.  When they had a nice golden color, I flipped them back over and filled them to the brim with a mixture of diced apple, brown sugar, oats, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds.  I poured about a cup of apple cider into the pan, placed the tops back on the apples, and slid them into the oven for an hour.


The end result was incredible.  Especially when drizzled with a little goats milk caramel.  A healthy, warm afternoon snack.


The baked apples reminded me of another delicious apple dish my mom baked a few weeks ago - mini pies!


Using a hand-pie maker, she filled a simple pie dough with sauteed apples.


The secret ingredient?  Goat's milk caramel, again!  The earthy sweet flavor compliments the apples perfectly.


All I have to say is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment