Thursday, October 27, 2011

Patience

image from cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com
I'm not a very patient person.

I like to pretend that I am, but the truth is that I am not.  If there is a shortcut, I'll take it.  If I can work harder and get things done faster, I'll do it.  I know how to make risotto (a notoriously time consuming dish to make because of all of the stirring) in 20 minutes.  Without stirring.  That's not bragging; that's admitting that even with tasks that I enjoy doing, I almost always manage to be more efficient for the sake of not having to wait.

Which is why searching for a farm is a true test of my patience.  I listened when everyone shared stories of finding their dream farm or home and it taking 3-4 years.  I nodded, but couldn't really comprehend waiting that long.  And I still can't.  I've been searching for a month and a half and it feels like an eternity.

Yesterday the homeowner of the  Picturesque North Stonington Farm called me by surprise.  Earlier in the week I had asked my real estate agent to make another appointment to see the property and to take soil tests.  I also broached her on the topic of leasing-to-buy - an option that would make the property more affordable for me, and could benefit the homeowner as well.

Unfortunately, I didn't even get to discuss this option with the landowner (and probably never will).  She called to make an issue out of wanting to see the property again, about me needing a lawyer (which is true, but very ahead of the game), and about her not budging a dollar on the asking price.  I was caught off-guard by her forwardness and aggressiveness (for example, making it clear that she would not be paying for a radon test because the radon levels are find...something I never inquired about and will need to see in writing anyway).  Mostly I was disappointed because it became clear just how much patience I would need to have with this property.  Now, even more then securing funding and finding a decent job, I have to wait until they are truly ready to sell the house (ie. negotiate).  

With the market so poor and winter on the horizon, I'm not worried about the property selling.  Especially with the landowners unreasonable nature.  And if it does, well then it's not my dream farm after all.  I'm excited to see the house again next week with a better attention to detail, but I no longer have hopes of settling there anytime soon.  I knew that before, but I didn't really admit it to myself until now.

And I'll need patience for seeking out other properties as well.  I'm getting to the "bottom" of my list of potential farms to lease/buy/visit.  The list will grow, but it's momentarily stalled.  I have plenty to work on - business plans, holistic management homework, job searching, seeking additional properties - but not too many specifics.

It's too bad patience isn't a vegetable crop - like mustard greens, which grow quickly this time of year, or butternut squash, which stores really well through the winter.  Then again, I suppose I'd need farmland to grow that as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment