Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I won!

image from lifelovepaper.typepad.com

Remember THIS little t-shirt design I doodled a few weeks ago?  Well, luck have it, it was a winner!  I couldn't be more excited!  AND I now get to attend the Young Farmers Conference at Stone Barns this December.  It's a great opportunity to network with other young farmers and learn crazy-cool things like silvopasturing, whole pig butchering, grant writing, business planning, and more.

And it seems that with snow in the forecast (though I'd be surprised if it hit our part of the state tomorrow), the farming season has transitioned to the farm-learning season.  From November through March there is a SLEW of farmer workshops, conferences, and meetings.  Each week, it seems, there are opportunities to learn new skills and improve your farm business.  It's one of my favorite parts about winter (aside from the warm clothes, time for reading and craft projects, and copious amounts of fresh baked bread).

Even if the snow comes, I hope it will melt quickly enough.  While I'm ready for winter in theory (ie. hot chocolate), snow makes it very difficult to tour farm properties.  Frozen earth makes it impossible to test soil.  Icy roads make it difficult to travel.  I need a few more weeks to find the perfect property or come up with a reasonable plan before I can begin my hibernation.



No comments:

Post a Comment