Monday, November 7, 2011

What's in a name?

photo from http://weheartit.com
My self-assigned homework project for the day was to name our future farm.  This is something I've been thinking about for years, but the time has come to pick a name (for the purpose of the loan paperwork and business planning) and stick with it for a while.  A name gives a sense of purpose, an understanding.

I knew that I wanted something simple, not too specific (so that I would feel tied to growing a specific crop), and easy to pronounce and spell (for check writing purposes).  I also wanted something unique (to the extent that it doesn't show up on the first few pages of google as being the name of another farm.

And so K and I spent the past two days bouncing ideas off one another.  Pretty much everything we did, ate, and heard inspired the name of a farm (Nacho Farm was my personal favorite for a while).  We came up with hundreds of (mostly humorous) options.  And then finally one felt right.

Full Heart Farm.

At first I thought it may be a little too...mushy...but I actually think it holds our sentiment quite well.  The name is inspired by one of our favorite TV shows, Friday Night Lights: "Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose."  We're pursuing this property with full hearts.  We know that starting a farm together, despite the numerous challenges, will be a wonderful way for us to build a family and a community.

Full Hearts.  Full Minds.  Full Bellies.

Life doesn't get more simple than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment