Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Not a Forever Farm

image from anobalesavage.com
I had a moment of realization while I was watching House Hunters last night (and, yes, I do spend my evenings like most retired folk, watching House Hunters).

There was a young couple with two young children and a sizable savings account looking to purchase their "Forever Home."  They wanted a home their family could grow into, near to both of their families and work, that they could easily retire into.  They visited three beautiful homes and (as in most episodes) had qualms with each of them.

Listening to the couple whine about details like the staircase (which wasn't picturesque enough for their daughters to slowly walk down dressed in prom outfits in the year 2027), made me realize something about myself.

I've been looking for my "Forever Farm" and it's been weighing on my decision making abilities.  Of course I would ideally find a farm where I could grow a business and a family, only to happily retire in the sunshine with my chickens baking scones every morning.  But circumstances change all of the time and there is no reason why I can't be flexible enough for my family farm to be affected by them.

There is no reason why I can't purchase a farm to settle, and then move home base after a while if a better opportunity presents itself, our business grows/changes, or circumstances change.  Without the pressure of searching for my forever farm, I can focus on finding a farm that will suit my needs for the foreseeable future.  This mindset doesn't change my opinion on any of the properties that I've seen in the past couple of months (it doesn't change anything, really), but it gives me new focus and determination for my Saturday marathon.

I've got a really good feeling I'll find my new home on Saturday.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment