Friday, February 10, 2012

I lost my farm today.

image via
I woke up to this email in my inbox (forwarded from my real estate agent at midnight):

To Whom It may Concern,
In the lengthy amount of time it has taken to negotiate the Home Inspection Repair list, we have had time to reconsider these requests. We feel that the amount of items, and items requested are unreasonable and have decided not to repair anything at this time. We have decided to sell the home “as is” and will not be fixing any of the items listed.
I was shocked and left feeling uneasy - a renegotiation like this just isn't legal.  I had heard a rumor earlier in the week (from a very reliable source) that the current owners had been unable to get financing for the farm they were trying to purchase.  I had been treading carefully since then, but felt protected by the contract.  My agent called their agent to see what was up, and she told her that the owners were very offended that we found things wrong with the house they built with their own two hands and were taking it very personally.

Before my real estate agent had a chance to call me and tell me the news, the sellers called back and said that they were withdrawing the offer on the grounds that we were unable to come to a mutual agreement.  I was stuck at work (having a HORRIBLE day there as well!), so my agent ran down to the lawyers office to get feedback and advice.

Long story short, the sellers were able to find a loophole in the contract.  Because we weren't able to come to an agreement before they needed to withdraw the contract, I'm just out luck (even though I feel that giving me less than an hour to respond is extremely unfair, especially so early in the morning).  Our lawyer doesn't think it's worth the cost to sue over the disagreement, but we're filing a lawsuit on Monday morning.  They've taken my home and my business (and potentially ruined my chances at getting this loan that I've worked for over a month to get), and I expect to at least be reimbursed for the cost of the home inspection (which totaled just under $1,000).  The lawyer feels pretty confident in our case and I will at least be a little satisfied when that money is returned to me.

But it doesn't change the fact that for the SECOND time this winter, I have to start all over in my search.  I'm determined and have a team of people helping me scour the internet for potential properties in New London County.  I'm trying my best to stay level-headed and optimistic, and to not compare the properties to the one I had my heart set on.  Trying is the best that I can do.

To be honest, I feel a little numb.  I'm angry about how the sellers dealt with the situation (that's a bit of an understatement), and feel desperate for something to happen that makes it feel a little more fair (ie. being compensated for the inspection/having the house burn down because of the shoddy electrical work that we identified in the inspection...too much?).  I also feel desperate to find another home, and to hear from the loan agency that I can keep my application on file if I am able to find a substitute farm in a short time frame (fingers crossed).  I feel a little hopeless about getting started for this growing season - knowing the loan application process takes 100 days and that it's near impossible to start a farm in June.  Deep down I DO trust that things will work out.

Third times a charm, right?  Please?

I don't even feel like focusing on wedding planning because we were planning on getting married at our farm, and I haven't begun to imagine a new plan yet.  I don't feel like going to my farm planning class tomorrow because I've already planned two farms in the past 4 months and neither of them have worked out.  I don't feel like having to tell all of my friends and family that I lost this property over and over and over and have to listen to them try to comfort me.  I DO feel like curling up under the covers, but that won't get me closer to my dream.  I just need to keep searching.  At least the search is going much faster now that I've seen so many of the houses on the market.

I can't believe I have to start all over again.  


  1. I don't even know what to say, Brooke. :( Saying, "Sorry" just doesn't seem to make the cut, but I really, truly am sorry to hear this news. :( :( ((Hugs from a fellow farming gal))

    1. hugs are perfect! thank you so much for your support along this crazy adventure. I'm STILL determined to find a farm, and knowing there are other people out there who care enough to read along really means a lot! :-)

  2. I'm sorry that this is one more (particularly high) hurdle that you have to jump in order to achieve your goal, but I ALSO and EVER so grateful that you wrote about it because (and I've been meaning to write this to you for a while now) it has reminded me how strong you have to be to persevere, and you really are a huge inspiration to me. I have followed your blog consistently because I, too, would like to buy my own farm. As a woman, I have often felt that it's doubly (or triply) as hard. Thanks for teaching me so much.

    1. thanks so much, nicolle. losing this farm was a hard hit, especially because I was so close to making my dream come true, but I do trust that things will work out. and I trust that they will for you too! good luck in your search! :-)