Friday, September 16, 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen...

We have ourselves a FIG TREE!

I couldn't be more excited.  Not only are figs one of my favorite foods, I'm excited to have the opportunity to learn more about growing and caring for them.  It falls under the general category of one day hoping to have a small orchard to feed myself and my family.  No time like the present to begin!

My mom and I discovered the trees for sale at a greenhouse hidden in the middle of Ninigret Park, Rhode Island.  We loved walking around and marveling at the four-foot elephant ears, enormous carnivorous plants, and beautiful flowers.  We also loved checking out the animals: chickens, ducks, goats, and even a pair of emu!


Though I understand that figs, like all plants, take time to grow and that realistically we may not get fruit this fall, it didn't keep me from checking the plant all afternoon to see if there was any progress.  Tonight I'm dreaming of platters like this one:

photo from http://browndresswithwhitedots.tumblr.com/

With a round of salumi, a hunk of farmstead cheese, and a loaf of warm baked bread.  With this for dessert:

photo from http://karmacucina.com/

A girl can dream, right?  Of farming and futures and fig trees galore.

No comments:

Post a Comment